Monday, November 14, 2011

Craft fair recap

On Saturday night I went to bed at 8:30 pm. I slept for 14 hours. I woke up. And I was still tired.

With another night of sleep under my belt, and a little more perspective, I feel like I can talk about my craft fair.

First off, a little background. This was the 12th year of Great Day in the Country, which is a nonprofit organization that supports various groups within my community, including several food banks. So when I decided to take a chance and get a booth, I knew that even if I didn't make my money back for buying a booth, that money was going to a great cause.

Last year, the police estimate of people at Great Day was 65,000. That's right. If you just fell off your chair, you're not alone. I was amazed when I heard that number too. So, needless to say, it's scary for your first time at something like this. Heck, it was my first time selling any of my work.

The area I live in also tends to be fairly traditional. Our town mascot is a chicken, because we have a flock that live and roam our downtown area. In fact, the sewing category for registration for Great Day falls under the "Country Arts and Crafts" section. I also knew there would be several other quilt booths [none of which I got a chance to visit, boo]. So I was wondering if my stuff was not traditional enough to appeal to people when they had other options to visit.

Anyways, I sold both of my tree skirts, a quilt, some pillows, and some other little things. I made my money back from buying the booth, and all the money I spent on the fabric for the various items [but of course I bought other fabric too haha]. I would have liked to be more successful, but I don't consider my attempt a failure. And for my first try, having only taken less than 3 months to prepare, I feel satisfied.

I also had so many people take my card and speak with me about custom orders. As to whether that pans out, we will have to see. 

And now...the photos! I pulled my camera out to take pictures and it was completely dead, so these are all cell phone photos at like 7 am. We had to be there at 6! :( And the person in all the photos is my trusty helper and boyfriend :)










All in all, I'm glad I did it. If nothing else, I tried something new and put myself out there, and I won't have to look back and wonder "what if"!

My highlight of the day was the woman who bought SuperSwoon and my California Dreamin' quilt was the mother of a woman who had a booth at Great Day also. A quilt booth. I wonder if her daughter is mad?

4 comments:

  1. Your booth looks great, the fire place adds a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I stumbled upon your blog somehow and so glad I did! I love your craft fair display and the super swoon tree skirt is beautiful :o) You have some beautiful quilts on your blog...can't wait to see more!
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Rebecca -

    I'm visiting from Quilt Story Fabric Tuesday! I love your Swoon Christmas Tree Skirt! Your booth at the craft fair was set up really cute.

    I just (finally) started quilting this year, and have only finished one quilt - which I donated to our Breast Cancer Awareness dinner/auction last month. I've got 3 in the works now, that I hope to have finished for Christmas presents.....

    I've wanted to quilt since I was 18 or 19, and didn't have the nerve until now. I admire you for going for it now! You do beautiful work!

    Enjoy the time you get to spend with your dad. I lost my dad almost 5 years ago and I miss him everyday.

    I've got a cousin that lives in Orlando - - I think it would be so great to live there!!!

    I'm your newest follower. Stop by and say hi sometime. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

    Hugs ~~ Suz
    inspiringcreativeness.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say that the booth looks great and you did an awesome job. I have yet to do any craft shows but do plan for it in the future. For someone so young and new to quilting, you are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete

Messages from friends :)