Thursday, January 5, 2012

Trouble with a capital T

Today I've been working on Stephen's Christmas blanket. It's backed with a delightfully fluffy/fuzzy fabric that isn't minky, but is sort of like it. To not mince words, it's a pain in the ass.

I've torn out many previous stitches in order to reduce bubbling, re-sewn the top and back right side together, stitched around the edge of everything. And then started on some very minimal quilting. Got through a single quilting line when I discovered that there is actually a lot more of that fluffy backing then needed. Aka, bubbling. Horrifically. I'm going to rip those stitches out.

Another time.

Right now I'm going to drink heavily.

Just kidding.

Except maybe not.

Just for listening to my whining, I'm going to share a banana nut recipe that will soothe your soul. In fact, I just ate half a loaf. To absorb all the alcohol I need to drink to drown my sorrows from this stupid blanket problem. Ok, no, it's really because I've been sick and that's all that's appealing to me lately.


Don't be like me and start baking this at 11:30 pm, because you will realize you want to go to bed at midnight, but won't be able to. Do be like me and make it, and then immediately eat 2 slices, burning your mouth and not even caring because it's so good and who cares if you have no self-control.

Banana Nut Bread [recipe from family friends in 1994]

1 and 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c margarine, softened
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. bananas, mashed [this is about 2.5 small-average bananas, and 2 large bananas]
1/2 c. chopped nuts [I used pecans]
1/2 c. thick sour cream

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Sift together flour, soda, and salt. Combine butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Cream for one and half minutes. Add bananas, nuts, sour cream, and flour mixture. Blend half a minute. Bake at 325 F for approximately one hour** or until a toothpick comes out clean.

**I had to bake mine for an hour and a half because the middle was still jiggly, but that could be because I'm a rebel and added extra banana, or because my loaf pan is deeper than most, or because my oven is inconsistent. Moral of the story, check it after an hour, don't be concerned if you have to bake longer.

Enjoy! :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks alot, now I'm craving banana nut bread!! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog through flicker and wanted to say I do this too. Banana bread always sounds good around 10pm and then I get tired waiting for it and burn my mouth having a piece hot out of the oven. But Oh My Goodness - It's always worth it! Banana Bread is the best hot out of the oven. I'll have to try out your recipe. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Messages from friends :)