Friday, May 25, 2012

Simple embroidery

This morning I had to get up at 5:45 to drive out to my sister's middle school [she's an 8th grade teacher] because one of her teacher friends asked me to speak to her classes. They have a special program for kids who would be the first person in their family to go to college. So I spoke about how to be successful in high school and college, and what career options are available with a criminal justice degree. Kids love hearing stories about criminals, so I was pretty popular today.

Wow, I got off-topic for a moment there. Sewing, Rebecca, focus on the sewing. So last night I really wanted to sew. Because I wanted to sew, but couldn't let myself be too immersed in a project and then staying up too late, I chose a handwork project.


Are you wanting to get into embroidery but are scared? Then something like this is totally for you.


I found this new Laura Gunn fabric the other day and I'm simply embroidering around one of the shapes with some DMC floss. I happened to have a skein of floss in this deep burgundy/purpley that almost exactly matches the little bits of purple in the fabric. It requires almost no thought and is very relaxing and kind of meditative.


I loved the print for a pillow for my couch but wanted to jazz it up a smidge. Plus using all 6 strands of floss gives it some awesome texture.

There and Back 

I'm linking up over with Katie today, who is celebrating a slower pace of sewing with her Handmade Parade. Yay!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love stitching on fabrics like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great so far! Love the colour choice =D


    I'm hosting a new swap over at my blog if anyone is interested please pop over for a look =D

    http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/p/goodie-bag-swap.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of embroidery on fabric! I haven't done it for awhile but after seeing your post, I think I am going to search through my stash for a great fabric to use for this! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea. I just might add this to my list! Perfect for a pillow too. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool, you must have a massive needle if you're stitching with 6 threads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. it's simple enough for a beginner but it looks so great! I hope you show more of your stitchy goodness!
    Thank you for linking up to The Handmade Parade :-)

    ReplyDelete

Messages from friends :)