Friday, September 14, 2012

Sew Liberated Schoolhouse Tunic Sew-Along


I'm very pleased to announce that the overwhelming majority of responders wanted to make the Schoolhouse Tunic by Sew Liberated! This is a fantastic pattern, especially if this will be your first garment experience!

Meg was so gracious in allowing me to lead a sew-along, and she has also offered a 10% discount on her website to buy the Schoolhouse Tunic pattern! Their discount code section is currently experiencing problems, so to receive the discount please email  orders [at] sewliberated [dot] com and mention that you are participating in the sew-along at Sew Festive Handmade. Meg and her team will then issue you a refund via Paypal. 

The sew-along will officially kick off on Monday October 8th, leaving you over 3 weeks to purchase and receive your pattern and fabrics. I will be posting this upcoming Monday, September 17th about the variety of fabrics you can choose to use on your tunic and will have a fancy schmancy button by then too!

We will work through the pattern in a total of 4 Mondays, so that by Monday November 5th you should have either a tunic/shirt/dress! Then on the 5th of November I will host a link-up here so that we can all ooh and ahh over everyone's fantastic garments!

Schedule:
-October 8th - Sizing and Cutting
-October 15th - Assemble Bodice Pieces and Sleeves
-October 22nd - Make Skirt and Attach to Bodice
-October 29th -  Finish the Sleeves and Hemline
-November 5th - Link up your finished Schoolhouse Tunics back here!

Requirements:
-Sew Liberated Schoolhouse Tunic Pattern
-2.5 yards of 44-45" fabric for shirt length, 3 yard for tunic length, and additional if you want a longer dress [this fabric should be lightweight cottons or linens; quilting cotton works great if it has a nice drape...more will be discussed next Monday!]
-1/2 yard of 1/4" elastic for the sleeves if desired; I will also be giving alternative sleeve options
-Coordinating thread - there is topstitching in this garment, so be aware of that
-Tracing paper for tracing off the pattern


Each of the days will include pictures of each step of the process, along with tips and tricks from me. I will specifically be addressing things that I think might throw a quilter off during the sewing, along with just general information. And because this is such a versatile pattern, I'll also be walking through the various adjustments and modifications you can make to the pattern so you can have a completely original Schoolhouse Tunic, such as sleeve differences, embellishments, etc.

So who can participate? Anyone! Haven't made a garment before? No problem! Don't have a serger? Me neither! I want to make sure that everyone can be successful, so please let me know if you have any questions :)

3 comments:

  1. I am soooo excited! I've given up on the idea of sewing clothes for myself, too many alterations are necessary for a good upper body fit. However, my daughter now fits an adult XS, so I will be making one for her! I even ordered some really cute AMH fabric at a good discount earlier this week. Perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to join in but it really depends on time! I will definitely follow along and read posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wooohoo, congrats, how exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete

Messages from friends :)